Wetherby War Memorial - The Great War 1914 - 1918

Private Tom Kitchen

Introduction
Gunter, R B N
Durrant, C M
Weston, C G
Kelly, K G
Armitage, G J
Durrant, H M L
Hargreaves, J P
March, G
Dukes, W
Fowler, R
Westerman, H
Kirk, J C
Wiggins, T A
Telford, G
Harper, J W
Alexander, H W
Mason, T F
Wilkinson, W
Brown, C
Adkin, J
Barton, F
Hobman, A
Webster, A E
March, E A
Miller, G
Hannan, E
Utley, G
Walker, F
Bygrave, E W
Chapman, E
Varley, N W
Bowen, F J
Byrom, F
Backhouse, S
Dalby, M
Crossland, A
Crossley, J S
Dean, R
Frost, A E
Hodgson, F H
Holt, J
Hood, W H
Hill, W
Kitchen, T
Linfoot, E
Metcalfe, J C
Marsden, J
Pawson, W
Precious, G
Scutt, T G
Shields,P
Wiggins, J
Walker, E
Wood, A
Young, T
Pratt, W
Taylor, H
Dawson, G W
Lister, J
Binge, T
Atack, G
Durham, E F
Precious, G R
Wheelhouse Smith, W
Backhouse, H
Swann, J W
Burnsides, G A
Coles, W
Kelly, H W
Miles, J G
Tapsell, K
Acknowledgements
Dardanelles

29193
15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment ("Leeds Pals")
Died, 3rd May, 1917

Cemetery : Arras Memorial, Boulevard du General de Gaulle, Arras, France
Grave Reference or Panel Number : Bay 4, I.H.14

Son of William and Hannah Bella (Annabella) Kitchen of Wentworth Terrace, West End, Wetherby.
 
The Early Years
 
Tom was born at Wetherby on the 27th of May 1897 to parents, a Farm Labourer, and Hannah Bella Kitchen (nee Utley). Baptised at Saint James Parish Church on the 16th of June of that year, Tom was the second child born to the Kitchen/Utley family.
At the recording of the 1901 Census, William now described his occupation as that of a Horseman/Market Gardener, the family now comprising of three children, Bessie, aged 7 years, Tom aged 3 years, and Fred, recorded as being just 6 weeks old. (Authors note: Bessie was in fact one Bessie Utley, born in 1893 and baptised at Saint James. The father however is not recorded).
The 1911 Census now records the Kitchen family as residing at Number 8, Wentworth Terrace, a further child, Maurice, having been born in November 1903 and baptised as a Primitive Methodist. Aged 14 years, Tom and his two siblings, Fred and Maurice respectively, are recorded at this juncture as being at school, of Bessie, she is recorded as residing with her Aunt at Oxenhope, near Keighley and employed as Worsted Spinner.
 
Attestation & Enlistment
 
It is surmised that Tom was deemed to have enlisted at York in May 1916 however his actual attestation for military service may suggest on or about the 10th of December 1915 at Wetherby. Attesting under the Derby or Group Scheme, i.e. voluntary enlistment, after undergoing a rudimentary medical examination performed by Dr. James Arthur Hargreaves, the presiding Medical Officer, Physician and Surgeon of Wetherby, Tom was then placed on the Army Reserve and issued an Armlet to denote that he had enlisted.  Mobilised and posted to the Regimental Depot located at York, he was then posted to a Reserve Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment and issued the serial number 29193. The terms of his enlistment were that of Short Service (For the Duration of the War, with the Colours and in the Army Reserve). It is of interest to note that amongst those attesting for service in this number sequence, there was one William Nettleton, aged 18 years and 6 months. A resident of Barleyfields Laundry, Wetherby, William would be allocated the serial number 29195. Shortly after his mobilisation however, he would be posted to the ranks of the 2/4th Lincolns and serve with various battalions of the Regiment until being captured and made a Prisoner of War whilst serving with the 1st Battalion in September 1918.
 
Posted To The Western Front
 
After a period of training in all military disciplines, Tom was despatched to France and would be initially posted to one of the many Infantry Base Depots (I.B.D's) where he would be processed and receive yet further training in all aspects of warfare. One may surmise that this initial service was conducted at the 33rd Infantry Base Depot located at Etaples, near Boulogne, before he joined his allocated battalion "in the field."
Posted to the 15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment ("Leeds Pals"), it is difficult to ascertain the date of his actual posting to the battalion with some degree of accuracy however it is certain that Tom was contained in a draft of 394 men that were received by the 15th West Yorkshire's in October 1916. Drafts recorded during the month in question in the Battalion War Diary are as follows:-
 
2nd October   Two Drafts Numbering 114 & 56 men
14th October   76 men
17th October   58 men
18th October   52 men
20th October   38 men
 
Either joining the battalion whilst they were in the Givenchy Sector east of Bethune or on the 31st Divisions return to the Somme, Tom was subsequently posted to "C" Company. (Source: Cox & Co 1919. First published for private circulation by the aforementioned, this edition being published in 1988 by the London Stamp Exchange Ltd., in association with Toad Hall Medals, 5 Buckingham Street, London WC2).
 
15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment: A Brief Service History
 
The battalion was formed at Leeds in September 1914 as a direct consequence of Lord Kitchener's "First Call To Arms," an appeal for 100,000 men between the ages of 19 and 35 years to enlist under a service obligation of SHORT SERVICE (Three years with the Colours). With the first contingent of roughly 1200 men being raised by the 16th of September (Source: Yorkshire Evening Post dated the 16th of September 1914), the battalion would be placed under the command Lieutenant-Colonel John Walter Stead, a former Solicitor and Commanding Officer of the 'Leeds Rifles'. (Authors note: Exact figures as to the strength of the battalion as of the 16th of September 1914 are not known however number 15/1200 was issued on the 25th of January 1915 to one Henry Roland Jones).
 
A facility was needed to train the battalion and this was duly provided by the Leeds Corporation Waterworks Committee. The site chosen had been constructed to house 'Navvies' involved in the construction of a new reservoir at Leighton and although hutted accomodation was in short supply, the site was accessed by a light railway. More huts would be built by civilian contractors in due course but for the majority of the battalion, they would be housed under canvas until the camp was completed.
On the 23rd of September, a Fatigue Party numbering 105 men of the Leeds City Battalion departed Leeds bound for Colsterdale to prepare the camp. Under the command of Sergeant-Major Arthur James Yates accompanied by Quartermaster Sergeant Robert Alfred Tannam and Sergeant Evelyn Henry Lintott, they departed the North-Eastern Station on the 7.55 a.m. train "in high spirits, singing "It's a long way to Tipperary." (Source: Yorkshire Post dated the 24th of September 1914).
 
It was on the 25th of September that the main body of the "Pals" proceeded by train from the North-Eastern Railway Station to Colsterdale. With their send off being witnessed by thousands of people, the first train departed the station at 8.33 a.m. followed by a second at 8.45 a.m. (Source: Leeds Mercury dated the 26th of September). Upon arrival at Masham near Ripon, all of the mens baggage was loaded onto the light railway which served the camp. There then followed a swift 'route march' of over five or six miles to the camp which was reached shortly after noon whereupon a dinner of meat and potatoes was served almost within ten minutes of their arrival courtesy of the stalwart Alderman Charles Henry Wilson, Acting Quartermaster. (Authors note: Hon. Captain (Temporary) and Temporary Quartermaster, 24th September, 1914. London Gazette dated the 27th of October 1914). Before dinner was served however, Colonel Stead addressed the men 'reminding' them that "they were associated with the West Yorkshire Regiment which had a fine record and he thought that they would not need urging to uphold it." (Source: Yorkshire Evening Post dated the 25th of September).  Settling down to their first night under canvas, the men allocated to "D" Company were more fortunate than the others as they were found accomodation in six huts that previously housed families of the navvies.             
 

 


palsdinner.JPG