Wetherby War Memorial - The Great War 1914 - 1918

Private George Utley

Introduction
Gunter, R B N
Durrant, C M
Weston, C G
Kelly, K G
Armitage, G J
Durrant, H M L
Hargreaves, J P
March, G
Dukes, W
Fowler, R
Westerman, H
Kirk, J C
Wiggins, T A
Telford, G
Harper, J W
Alexander, H W
Mason, T F
Wilkinson, W
Brown, C
Adkin, J
Barton, F
Hobman, A
Webster, A E
March, E A
Miller, G
Hannan, E
Utley, G
Walker, F
Bygrave, E W
Chapman, E
Varley, N W
Bowen, F J
Byrom, F
Backhouse, S
Dalby, M
Crossland, A
Crossley, J S
Dean, R
Frost, A E
Hodgson, F H
Holt, J
Hood, W H
Hill, W
Kitchen, T
Linfoot, E
Metcalfe, J C
Marsden, J
Pawson, W
Precious, G
Scutt, T G
Shields,P
Wiggins, J
Walker, E
Wood, A
Young, T
Pratt, W
Taylor, H
Dawson, G W
Lister, J
Binge, T
Atack, G
Durham, E F
Precious, G R
Wheelhouse Smith, W
Backhouse, H
Swann, J W
Burnsides, G A
Coles, W
Kelly, H W
Miles, J G
Tapsell, K
Acknowledgements
Dardanelles

15703
1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards
Died 15th September 1916

Cemetery : Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France
Grave Reference or Panel Number : Pier and Face 7D and 8D

Son of William and Louisa Utley of Wetherby; husband of Mary Ellen Utley.

George was born at Wetherby in 1881 to parents William, a Journeyman/Tailor and Louisa Utley whilst they were residing at premises located in the Market Place.
In 1891, and after the death of George's mother in 1887, the family, now comprising of the widowed William and two further children had relocated to property at West End.
George's father, William, remarried in 1898 and in the 1901 Census is recorded as residing in the village of East Keswick. George himself at this period had by now found employment as a Servant/Agricultural Horseman with one William Thomlinson, a Farmer and Auctioneer, and was now residing with his employer at Wighill near Tadcaster.
Married in the winter of 1901 to Miss Mary Ellen Simpson, daughter of George and Sarah Simpson of Wighill and a Domestic Servant at Wighill Grange, the location of the marital home is unknown at present. In the 1911 Census however George and Mary are recorded as residing at Moat House located to the south of Wighill Road with their five children.